June 06, 2013

The Mother

 
 
 
It was the sweetest smile,
 
healing and holy,
 
straight from the heart of
 
a mother crouched upon a sidewalk
 
gazing into her daughter's eyes,
 
nose to nose and
 
forehead to forehead,
 
consoling her toddler
 
with, "It's OK baby, let mommy wipe your tears ---
 
and don't you be such a sourpuss anymore",
 
in a language I didn't understand
 
but for the kindness of her face
 
so unlike that frown in the other woman's voice
 
the one on the phone
 
with her own mother
 
talking too loud for a bus-stop.
 
"They don't think she's being cared for properly."
 
"New Jersey?  She can't go to New Jersey!"
 
"Why do you say things like that?"
 
"Why don't you think before you speak
 
about my daughter?"
 
Her daughter who I could only imagine somewhere
 
far away from the warmth of her mother's love.
 
 
 
At that moment I wondered if all these sleepy-eyed Baltimore mornings
 
would destroy
 
or restore
 
my faith in God
 
because we all laugh and cry
 
cajole and control the same,
 
human beings being human,
 
and is that enough
 
or do I need
 
because I do need
 
(oh how I need)
 
a Buddha or a Sophia or a Jesus or
 
his healing mother,
 
the mother of God,
 
to hold my face
 
in her hands
 
and assure me that everything
 
"will be OK
 
and don't you be such a sourpuss anymore"
 
--- as if such were possible
 
 while basking
 
in the radiance of her holy smile.
 
 
--- Darrell Arnold
 

No comments:

Post a Comment